- 1.2 kilos assorted cuts of lamb
- 1/2 kilo onions
- 50 grams garlic
- 5 cloves
- Salt to taste
- 125 grams ghee (clarified butter)
- 600 ml yogurt
- 70 grams ginger
- 10 chhoti (small) elaichi (cardamom)
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 10 grams Kashmiri deghi mirch (chili powder that has more color than heat)
- 15 grams dhania (coriander seeds)
- Clean and cut into 1.5 inch chunks; clean the chops.
- Whisk yogurt in a large bowl.
- Peel, wash, and slice onions. Scrape, wash and finely chop ginger. Peel and chop garlic.
- Mix all the ingredients, except coriander seeds and ghee, with yogurt and leave the lamb chunks in the marinade for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a haandi (large cooking utensil).
- Add coriander seeds and saute over medium heat until they begin to crackle.
- Add the lamb, with the marinade then bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Cover and simmer, stirring at regular intervals, until the meat is tender.
- Uncover, increase to medium heat and bhunno (saute) until the fat leaves the masala. Adjust the seasoning.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with tandoori rotis.